[plug] Power Transformer??

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 26 19:05:03 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>>*peeks at RS web site* Hmm, 5V seems surprisingly uncommon.
>>RS have a 5A, 5V milspec supply for a mere $90000 - eek!  It'd
>>be cheaper to buy a new car for that price :-(  The others
>>[they] stock seem to be lower current (e.g. 2.5A or less)
>

> With regards to lower current: No one said you have to
> use all the ports at once ;-)

I'd hazard a guess that over 90% of the current consumed by a switch is not fed out the ports. The
processor, fans, media converters, leds and other general stuff will consume far more current that
squirting data out the actual ethernet port.

A cheaper source of 5v high current supplies would be the dongly style power supplies that come with
some external hard disk enclosures, although 5A is probably a big ask. The biggest I have here is
3.5A. Whip the lid off and have a squiz to see if it has any input regulation. You might find (Like
my DWL-900AP+) it has a switchmode converter and you can feed it increased voltage to reduce its
current consumption (To the limit of the voltage of the filter caps anyway)

Regards,
Brad