[plug] Power Transformer??

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 19:26:14 WST 2004

In message <408CECDF.6000209 at wasp.net.au>
on Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 03:05:03PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
> >>*peeks at RS web site* Hmm, 5V seems surprisingly uncommon.
> >>RS have a 5A, 5V milspec supply for a mere $90000 - eek!  It'd
> >>be cheaper to buy a new car for that price :-(  The others
> >>[they] stock seem to be lower current (e.g. 2.5A or less)
> >With regards to lower current: No one said you have to
> >use all the ports at once ;-)
> I'd hazard a guess that over 90% of the current consumed by a switch
> is not fed out the ports.

True, but I thought it odd that a 16-port hub (probably without a fan)
would consume 25W in its quiescent state. However, I don't know whether
its quiescent state would be that in which there are no connected ports
or that in which all ports are connected but not active. Maybe we should
just buy the car.