[plug] Power Transformer??

Benjamin J Keith bjkeith at it.net.au
Mon Apr 26 19:15:59 WST 2004

5V plugpacks seem rather uncommon (to buy at least).  Been trying to
source some as well.  Altronics list them in their hardcopy catalogue, but
the Perth store is currently out of stock (new stock won't be in until
July supposedly).

I'd be surprised if the hub actually needs 5 amps, that's a fairly large
amount of current for a hub, you sure a decimal point hasn't rubbed off?
:)  The 16 port hub I'm using now uses 1 amp @ 240V, but it has it's own
built in transformer.  Maybe the current is needed if you want to do power
over ethernet??

Ben

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Senectus - wrote:

> Hey guys, the  16 port HUB that I'll be donating to PLUG didn't have a power
> transformer (cuortesy of my chihuahua) so I went out and bought a multi
> pourpose transformer thinking that it should work fine with this HUB..
>
> Stupidly I didn't check what the requirements were for the HUB and it looks
> like the trasnformer I bought will be of no use..
>
> The HUB needs "5vdc 5.0A" and the tranformer will do (among much higher or
> lower settings) either "4.5vdc or 6vdc" and 500mA...
>
> My question is, does anyone know if it really matters that much if its .5vdc
> lower that required or 1vdc higher???
>
> Senectus
>

> “I don’t think Bastard goes anywhere near to describing the unmitigated scum
> sucking, bottom feeding toerag that is me. But hey – who knew shit could be
> worth so much
”  - Simon Travaglia BOFH (Could have easily been Darl McBride