[plug] distro non-wars: Debian vs Gentoo vs LFS for specific purposes

Clare Johnstone clare at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 28 10:15:54 WST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Denis Brown wrote:
> compile-from-source-tarball deal) have made it obvious that Debian woody is
> not cutting edge in terms of support packages (gcc and many graphics
> support apps for example).   Cutting edge stuff is pretty much expected for
> the majority of the neuro software that comes my way.   I have not faced
> problems with driver support since I'm not using bleeding edge laptop or
> desktop chipsets in the hardware.

Denis you are now at the point where you just might be interested in my
favourite http://crux.nu
THis comes as a 200 Meg download for the basic distribution, and has a
few hundred compile yourself packages supported by a small but very
focussed user community. The basic stuff is both modern and straightforward.
I can for example almost understand how it gets initted.
Everything is used as prepared by the original developers (no layer
between you and them in case of problems), with only minor
setup changes in the packaging system ( not all of which I agree with but
easily changed). This is the strength of it, it is designed for people
who want something basic that they can tailor for their own
requirements. If interested please call by and I will show you.
regards,
clare