[plug] Customer wants to move away from Windows but...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 1 15:06:24 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 14:02, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 12:46:16PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Personally, I'm often tempted by FreeBSD, but there are some limitations
> > that make it unsuitable for the server I'd like to use it on.
>
> This seems surprising, given that the FreeBSD people make lots of claims
> about how good it is for web/file/etc servers.  Out of curiosity, could
> you tell us what limitations you see?

Chris's response would be the first issue ;-) though I wouldn't count
that as a limitation of FreeBSD, but rather one of my own.

More importantly, my understanding is that the storage management isn't
up to the level of LVM/LVM2, something that'd be a real issue for me.
I'm also using UML for test runs on server config changes, etc, and
wouldn't want to give that up. OTOH, for other things I would _really_
like Jails, and find LVS extremely interesting for that reason.

I vaguely recall hearing about other things, but can't remember
specifics - so it's probably not a big deal.

--
Craig Ringer