[plug] Customer wants to move away from Windows but...

chris caston at arach.net.au
Sun Aug 1 15:33:27 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 15:06, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 14:02, Russell Steicke wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 12:46:16PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > > Personally, I'm often tempted by FreeBSD, but there are some limitations
> > > that make it unsuitable for the server I'd like to use it on.
> >
> > This seems surprising, given that the FreeBSD people make lots of claims
> > about how good it is for web/file/etc servers.  Out of curiosity, could
> > you tell us what limitations you see?
>
> Chris's response would be the first issue ;-) though I wouldn't count
> that as a limitation of FreeBSD, but rather one of my own.
>
> More importantly, my understanding is that the storage management isn't
> up to the level of LVM/LVM2, something that'd be a real issue for me.
> I'm also using UML for test runs on server config changes, etc, and
> wouldn't want to give that up. OTOH, for other things I would _really_
> like Jails, and find LVS extremely interesting for that reason.
>
> I vaguely recall hearing about other things, but can't remember
> specifics - so it's probably not a big deal.

Another interesting difference is the difference in licensing. If you
had an employer that wanted to use a UNIX-like operating system for an
embedded project (that would be sold on the open market) you may decide
to go with something like NetBSD if your boss has no intention of
distributing the changes in the source code. This way you avoid
violating the GPL.