[plug] BIND9 or djbdns

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Aug 1 22:08:30 WST 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:51:27PM +0800, chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at a dns tool called: djbdns (http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html)
> It appears to be much easier to setup and chroot than BIND9 but it does
> not appear to be open source. What are your thoughts on this program? Is
> it worth using or should I use BIND instead?

Definitely worth using (IMHO), but also definitely does not meet the
open source definitiion or the Debian Free Software Guidelines, as DJB
won't allow distribution of modified sources, so any changes get
published as patches, like what happens with qmail for exactly the same
reason.

It's easy to get going, but will make your head spin for a while if you
have a BIND mindset to start with.

However, if you want to install it on debian, there is a
djbdns-installer package in contrib that side-steps the distribution
requirement by downloading the source, patching on your machine, and
making a deb right there.  It requires that you install ucspi-tcp-src
(also available from contrib) and make the ucspi-tcp deb first, but
that's just as easy.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of sense to know
how to lie well.
		-- Samuel Butler