[plug] Westnet Usage Monitor for Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 2 15:36:10 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Easy, yes. Allowable & supported by Westnet - not currently.
>
> By the sounds of it, they want proof of your application ID, so they
> can monitor app usage. An OS solution (in a non-compiled language)
> would allow that key to be copied/changed, thus allowing forgery of
> application ID.

Well, they could hand out client certificates for apps to use. Obviously
with enough effort (or very little, from another OSS app) one could rip
the client cert and use it in your own app - but most people wouldn't
bother. Simply provide a way to apply for a new app-ID + cert on the WN
website (a bit of CGI to talk to openssl would be all it'd take - I
know, having done something similar).

Bulletproof security - far from it. Maybe good enough, depending on what
their reasoning is. Personally, I don't understand why they care what
apps use the service at all.

> I can't see the big deal myself. What would the advantage be to
> forging another app's ID?

Agreed. I don't see the point.

--
Craig Ringer