[plug] Help

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 1 12:41:29 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 17:37, chris whittaker wrote:

> I am having trouble with installation and i would appreciate some help.
> basically I can install RPMs , i dont know where they go when i do but
> so far installation of RPMs seems to be ok.

RPMs are software packages. When installed, RPM adds information about
the installed software to a database that's mainained by RPM, and copies
the files from the RPM package to the appropriate locations on your
computer. To find out where it's copied the files, run 'rpm -ql
packagename | less' from the command line.

For example, if I wanted to find out where the 'coreutils' RPM had
installed its self (it's part of your OS, so you'll have it installed
too), I can run:

rpm -ql coreutils

and I'll get output like this:

/bin/basename
/bin/cat
/bin/chgrp
/bin/chmod
/bin/chown
/bin/cp
/bin/cut
/bin/date
/bin/dd
/bin/df
/bin/echo
/bin/env
/bin/false
/bin/link
/bin/ln
/bin/ls
/bin/mkdir
/bin/mknod
/bin/mv
/bin/nice
/bin/pwd
(and so on)

.

Remember that info about these files is in the RPM database. It's not a
particularly good idea to delete, move, or overwrite them, because your
database will no longer match your system. To remove an RPM, use the
'rpm -e' command instead. You may have already known this, but it does
little harm to point it out anyway.

--
Craig Ringer