[plug] email hosting

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 3 09:59:00 WST 2004

Russ Powers wrote:

> I guess this is where I'm getting confused. Where is the MX record
> kept?

In the DNS for your domain.  You'll have to ask the people hosting
your DNS to add an appropriate MX record.  (Sometimes, e.g. in the
case of the people hosting patrick.wattle.id.au, it's possible to do
it over the web.)  MX records need to point to another hostname, so
you'll probably have to make an A record with your IP address in it
and point the MX record to that.

> >  - you need to tell exim that it is the final delivery point for mail in
> >    your domain.
>
> I believe I've already done that. But I can't test it since netregistry is
> currently handling my email for that domain and has an MX record for it(one
> month free with the domain purchase).

Do something like this: (hopefully it should be evident when you try
it what stuff you're supposed to type and what stuff is the output)

$ telnet localhost smtp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.