[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Wed Aug 4 05:08:33 WST 2004

Hi.
Some of you may know me personally and others just from inrequent posts.
My name is Tim in case you hadn't read my header and I am currently in
year 12.
As some of you may know I have a passion in computers, mainly
programming. This as taken me to Canberra to attend the AIC selection
school twice.
I have been using linux since the start of the year that the last Debian
2.2.X was released around Sept (If you can remember which year it was
please tell me, I am think 2001 as 3.0 was released 2002)
Since then I have picked up a greater desire to program and am often
found spending a whole weekend developing an application[1] instead of
doing study or homework. I don't enjoy study or homework unless it is on
a computer. I am alright at Calculus[2] and Applicable maths. I am also
doing physics, geography and English all of which I can do if I study
harder.
I have topped WA in the UNSW Computer Competition 3 out of 4 years so I
am confident that I have skills in the computer area apart from the fact
that I enjoy it heaps.
Apart from the fact that I hate school and am not looking forward to the
upcoming TEE exams I am still going to do them. What I am writing this
for is guidance. I really enjoy programming especially when it can help
someone else other than just me. I am not sure of what to do after year 12.
I know that there is Computer Science and Software Enginerring that I
can do at Uni but I'm not sure if I want to.
I also know that I can't live off prgramming for the Open Source
community unless my work is so good that donations come pouring in or I
get commercial customers [3]
I am open to any suggestions. Also if you know away that I can combine
my love for lighting (thearter) with computers/programming then please
tell me.
Thanks
Tim
[1] As most of you can't know I am developing a web based chat client
similar to IRC which will soon be found at http://ihcc.sourceforge.net
(In the next week or so) or for an old version
http://plug.linux.org.au/~linuxalien/public/talk/. Any guesses on what I
was doing last week end considering it is now on SF
[2] If I study/do home work
[3] Side note, what license should I release an application under if I
wish for it to be free for general public but not for commercial use?