[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 3 17:32:58 WST 2004

Hi Tim, I am biased here but, dont underestimate the power of that piece
of paper saying "Batchel...

The more education, balanced by experience the better.  All one and not
the other may (note I say may) limit your opportunities, sometimes
drasticly.  This applies particularly to large organisations and the
government.  You are unlikely to get in the door with these without
being able to show years of experience (and will get passed over by the
youngster straight out of uni anyway!), or a good education.

Also dont forget that you go to Uni to actually learn, not "get an
education".

Lastly, put yourself in a potential employers shoes, two unknowns turn
up at the door, both enthusiastic, both with good portfolios but one has
a degree - which would you take?  Most of the successful and employed IT
people I know have advanced education.

There are always exceptions to generalisations like the above, and
personal ability will count for a lot - but think carefully about where
you want to be in a few years time - plan your future now, trust me its
easier!

BillK