[plug] [OT] After Year 12

chris caston at arach.net.au
Tue Aug 3 17:45:52 WST 2004

Hi Tim,

While your still < 18 I would suggest getting some part-time work at one
of the many places this will employ people under the age of 18 while the
award rates are still lower.

It becomes much harder to find employment when you are over 18 (without
prior experience) and they need to pay you more. Even though it will be
non-IT work it is still an area you can fall back on (even later in
life) to earn money while things are quiet in IT and your paying your
own rent and bills.

As for working in IT I would suggest as well doing more physical service
based stuff such as fixing PCs setting up networks. This is the type of
thing that people will always need locals to do. While your doing that
you can talk to them and sell them programing services.

I spent a lot of time looking for work and ended up becoming
self-employed so you should always see starting your own business as a
possible option but as a manager/technician/entrepreneur your business
can only grow so far before you reach your human limits.

 For this reason you should put together a proper organisational chart
that will plot out and plan the different roles in your business that
can be assigned to other people allowing it to scale.

Lots of small businesses also can't afford to employ staff so will
contract work out to people (especially for small programming projects)
so it is a good idea to get an ABN.

thanks,

Chris Caston