[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 3 17:49:46 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:

> My name is Tim in case you hadn't read my header and I am currently in
> year 12.

My name is Cameron and I'm an alc... oops, wrong support group :-)

> I know that there is Computer Science and Software Enginerring that I
> can do at Uni but I'm not sure if I want to.

I'm inclined to recommend /not/ doing computer science at uni.  If
you're good enough at programming to do well in the AIC, I would
imagine that you'd find formally studying CS a bit dull.  (Admittedly,
I'm not speaking from experience here, but from what I've heard from
others, CS at UWA and Murdoch isn't that great.)

The main reason that you'd want to do computer science is for the bit
of paper at the end that helps you get a job as a programmer.  Is that
what you're after?  If not, consider studying related to another of
your interests, where you might end up learning more and enjoying
yourself more than slogging your way through tedious but pointless
programming tasks.

> I am open to any suggestions. Also if you know away that I can combine
> my love for lighting (thearter) with computers/programming then please
> tell me.

Do a Science/Arts or Engineering/Arts degree? :-P  You could also get
involved with amateur dramatics as a hobby.

Cameron.