[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 3 21:45:21 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 17:49, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> I'm inclined to recommend /not/ doing computer science at uni.  If
> you're good enough at programming to do well in the AIC, I would
> imagine that you'd find formally studying CS a bit dull.  (Admittedly,
> I'm not speaking from experience here, but from what I've heard from
> others, CS at UWA and Murdoch isn't that great.)

I know too many people who came out of CS (at least at UWA) boasting
about how they managed to spend three years NOT learning programming to
take it particularly seriously ;-)

> The main reason that you'd want to do computer science is for the bit
> of paper at the end that helps you get a job as a programmer.  Is that
> what you're after?

Remember, if a move to India / China / wherever doesn't appeal, you may
have to think about what the employment market may be like in 5 - 10
years. It might be good ... or it might only be good in China.

--
Craig Ringer