[plug] email hosting

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Wed Aug 4 09:47:07 WST 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:54 am, Russ Powers wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:59 am, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > Russ Powers wrote:
> > > I guess this is where I'm getting confused. Where is the MX record
> > > kept?
> >
> > In the DNS for your domain.  You'll have to ask the people hosting
> > your DNS to add an appropriate MX record.  (Sometimes, e.g. in the
> > case of the people hosting patrick.wattle.id.au, it's possible to do
> > it over the web.)  MX records need to point to another hostname, so
> > you'll probably have to make an A record with your IP address in it
> > and point the MX record to that.
>
> There is a "zone management" page. I can go in and add records.

Well, all is working now.

In case anybody else has a similar situation, here's what I did.

I went to the netregistry site and set up an A record pointing to my ip. Then
I set up an MX record named mail pointing to the above A record. I haven't
setup dns on my server. Still looking into whether it is worth my while.

I don't know if netregistry will delete those records at the end of my 'one
month free mail hosting", but it gives me some time to play with dns just in
case.

Thanks for all the help.

--
Regards,