[plug] email hosting

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 3 09:59:23 WST 2004

In message <200408030943.31348.russ at powerstech.com>
on Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:43:31AM +0800, Russ Powers wrote:
> I guess this is where I'm getting confused. Where is the MX record kept?

In DNS.

> Do I set up DNS on the server and that's where the record is held and
> served to the net?

It sounds like your domain already exists on Internet, so someone is
already serving DNS records for your domain (netregistry, if I read your
e-mail correctly). In general, if you have blah.blah.au, then the
administrators of blah.au would need to either host the blah.blah.au
zone or delegate it to someone else. Some registrars may provide zone
hosting as part of package deal, or for a regular fee. Others will give
you a self-administration interface to set up your own zone delegation
(in which case you could run your own DNS server and back it up with an
appropriate set of secondaries).

> I believe I've already done that. But I can't test it since
> netregistry is currently handling my email for that domain and
> has an MX record for it(one month free with the domain purchase).

I guess you have to take up this issue with netregistry. Either they
need to let you configure your zone as it stands on their servers, or
need to delegate it to DNS servers of your own selection.

> > > Or do I need an isp?
> > Umm...well, yes, you need an ISP. But it sounds like you already have
> > one.
> Everyone is a comedian. ?;-)
> I meant, do I need the isp to keep the MX record?

Sorry...wasn't trying to be funny. I simply didn't understand the
meaning or relevance of the question. Umm...hopefully the question
is answered above.