[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Richard Henry neobyte at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 12:34:07 WST 2004

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 17:08:33 -0400, Tim White <weirdo at tigris.org> wrote:

> I am open to any suggestions. Also if you know away that I can combine
> my love for lighting (thearter) with computers/programming then please
> tell me.
> Thanks
> Tim

It should be mentioned that most IT degree programs are really quite
flexible these days.  In most degrees the *required* units (those you
need to complete for your major, say Computer Science) usually take up
around 50% of your course.  The other 50% can be made up of anything
you like (though people tend to stay in the general area), so you
could theoretically do a degree that involved something like a double
major in Computer Science and Theatrical Arts - though I have to admit
I've never heard of that particular combo. :)  While YMMV (some
degrees like Engineering can be more strict and have less electives),
most universities have some sort of prospective students contact email
address - checking with them would be a good idea.

I would also strongly suggest doing tertiary study.  From people I've
spoken too, lots of prospective employers wont even look at you
without a degree.  Of course experience and personality can be equally
important, but that piece of paper does mean something.  Employers
want to know that you are willing and able to sit down and complete a
long project, even if bits are really quite boring, and a degree is
prime proof you are capable of that!  As unfair as it sounds, you can
have years and years of experience but be overlooked for someone with
half your experience and a degree.

Unless it's an arts degree.  They aren't worth the paper they're
printed on - stay in science or engineering! :D

HTH,
Rich.