[plug] [OT] After Year 12

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Aug 4 19:55:15 WST 2004

On 4 Aug 2004 at 8:49, chris wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 08:40, chris wrote:
> > And about the whole uni thing.
> >
> > A TAFE Cert IV in IT will get you into a lot of uni computing courses
> > and a Diploma will get you into almost anything.
> >
> > Sometimes you can enroll directly into Cert III and have your Cert IV
> > finished in just 12 months. You can always enroll in a course for the
> > mid-year intake.
> >

> Also a Diploma can sometimes get you an exemption for the first year
> which will save you a lot of uni fees.

A Diploma will NOT exempt you from your first year,  it may help you get a couple of exemptions on
introductory units, and it may also give you some credit points towards your degree - ( I was
awarded 24 credit points for my Diploma, but I had to repeat a lot of units at uni in order to meet
prerequisites for higher units in the degree course. I was at uni part-time for three years before
I started to learn "new" things that I had not already done in TAFE.

If any one thinks that TAFE diploma -----> Uni degree is the easy or quick way to do it - then
forget it (I am speaking from experience) - save yourself the time and effort, get straight into
uni and give TAFE  a miss unless you want a good grounding in the basics in order to get into a job
straight away. Then when you have got the job - get your employer to pay for your uni on part-time
basis.

Regards Arie