[plug] List administration and policy

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Aug 5 11:37:30 WST 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, James Devenish wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0408050851001.6075-100000 at BBRH73.busby.net>
> on Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:00:44AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Craig Foster wrote:
> > > When discussing a company online, escpecially when there's
> > > complaints or other bad stuff that can come up, I'd prefer it not to
> > > be public / google searchable :) But that's just me...
>
> Bret: in this case, Craig is expressing his personal ideals of conduct.
> This is his personal choice, and I sympathise with it, although I agree
> with you that it runs counter to the established patterns of review &
> discussion on this list. However, the discussion on this list usually
> relates firmly to technical or computing matters. Onno's thread does
> have some relevance, but I suspect it should have been marked [OT]
> (off-topic). Therefore, I think that some that people (e.g. Craig)
> may rightly choose to reply off-list for this reason alone.

In the context of his message, I did not know whether Craig Foster was a
list administrator, and, I had also got the impression that he (as a
perceived list administrator, from his message) had laid down the law,
and stopped further messages in that thread, from appearing on the list.
Thus, I was unsure of what was happening, as it seemed to be stricter
than usual.

> > 2. When a person acts as a list administrator for the list, could they
> > put a statement in their message, indicating that they are performing an
> > action in the capacity of a list administrator for the list?
>
> I'm pretty sure that I always do. The other administrators are Matt
> Kemner (the original admin, AFAIK) and Craig Ringer. I'm pretty sure
> that Matt notes his position as a list admin, and possibly Craig,
> although it is relatively infrequent that they send administrative
> comments to the list. Although Matt is an ex-committee member, FYI the
> current committee does not directly participate in list administration
> at the current time. We impose no limitations on what people can or
> cannot write, nor am I aware of any manipulation of the archives (e.g.
> removal of posted articles).

Thank you for that.

In lists with more than one known administrator, it can sometimes be
difficult to know who are the list administrators, and when they are
acting as list administrators, unless it is specified.

Again, thank you for the clarifications.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."