[plug] List administration and policy - was RE: [plug] 3 Year Warranty

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 09:13:20 WST 2004

[I think this is either a matter for the community or the committee. My
comments, below, are made as a member of the community, not as a list
administrator. My only comment as a list administrator is to say that I
impose no administrative policies in regards to the issues here; I think
it would at least be unworkable, and more likely inappropriate, for us
drive these matters any more than has historically been the case. I
don't know what Matt thinks, nor what Craig thinks, nor what the
committee thinks.]

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0408050851001.6075-100000 at BBRH73.busby.net>
on Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:00:44AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Craig Foster wrote:
> > When discussing a company online, escpecially when there's
> > complaints or other bad stuff that can come up, I'd prefer it not to
> > be public / google searchable :) But that's just me...

Bret: in this case, Craig is expressing his personal ideals of conduct.
This is his personal choice, and I sympathise with it, although I agree
with you that it runs counter to the established patterns of review &
discussion on this list. However, the discussion on this list usually
relates firmly to technical or computing matters. Onno's thread does
have some relevance, but I suspect it should have been marked [OT]
(off-topic). Therefore, I think that some that people (e.g. Craig)
may rightly choose to reply off-list for this reason alone.

> 2. When a person acts as a list administrator for the list, could they
> put a statement in their message, indicating that they are performing an
> action in the capacity of a list administrator for the list?

I'm pretty sure that I always do. The other administrators are Matt
Kemner (the original admin, AFAIK) and Craig Ringer. I'm pretty sure
that Matt notes his position as a list admin, and possibly Craig,
although it is relatively infrequent that they send administrative
comments to the list. Although Matt is an ex-committee member, FYI the
current committee does not directly participate in list administration
at the current time. We impose no limitations on what people can or
cannot write, nor am I aware of any manipulation of the archives (e.g.
removal of posted articles).