[plug] VPN's

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 5 18:00:50 WST 2004

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Not really sure whats required but here's the situation.
>
> People that work here travel outside of the metro area and have to have
> access to work files.  We have dialup access through westnet whereever
> we are.  Now is there a way to have access to the file server at work
> authenticate the user through dialup without the long distance phone
> calls and all of that.

There probably is, yes. It would be helpful if you would specify what
file server and access protocol you are using, plus what your
firewall/gateway machine is, as these are all very important to the
specifics of what to do and the best choice of VPN service.

For example, it may be reasonable to simply use SSH/SCP (there are GUIs
for SCP), you might get away with simple HTTP + client certificates
(note: WebDAV runs over HTTP), or you might need a full ip-level VPN
like L2TP or IPSec.

> I believe VPN's are the way to go.  If they are can you point me in the
> right direction for the following.
>
> 1. Doc's to help setup the software.

Depends on what the suitable software ends up being.

> 2. What authentication all of you's would recommend.

Depends on the server and your requirements.

--
Craig Ringer