[plug] VPNs

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 5 18:06:50 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> For example, it may be reasonable to simply use SSH/SCP (there are GUIs
> for SCP), you might get away with simple HTTP + client certificates
> (note: WebDAV runs over HTTP), or you might need a full ip-level VPN
> like L2TP or IPSec.

While I'm tempted to drag out my "Open VPN is nice" form letter, I
wouldn't really recommend it in this situation (where there are many
clients connecting to one fixed server).  UWA use a PPTP-based VPN for
making wireless access vaguely secure.  The server runs on Linux,
there are Linux clients around, and I believe the configuration needed
for modern versions of Windows to be used as a client is next to
trivial.

Perhaps someone in the know from UWA could elaborate on how reliable
this system is and what degree of pain is involved in making it go.

Cameron.