[plug] VPN's

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 5 19:36:17 WST 2004

is port forwarding an option?  Something like zebedee can be used as an
encrypted, authenticated vpn.  It is in use for purposes like this in
the states (e.g., travelling salesmen).

I only use it for email (read and send to home and work), secure
intranet (zope, web etc) access from "outside" and vnc sessions from
multiple sites (laptop) to multiple sites (home and work) running
servers.

I had (accidentally formated!) a floppy disk that had the requisite
programs (inc httptunnel for when I had to pierce a restrictive
firewall) and keys that I could pop into any doze machine and work to
whatever resource I needed.

Logging is excellent as is control, but large scale, individual key
management may be an issue, and working to a global key set is not so
secure in what you are describing.

Been using it for over 5 years now that I think about it!  Trouble free
and just "works".  I have tried ssh and find it relatively flaky (hung
connections, odd problems) by comparison.

http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee/

BillK