[plug] mirroring and updating a remote http directory

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 6 16:37:17 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 16:23, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1091779938.24691.21.camel at rasputin.localnet>
> on Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 04:12:18PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Given that it's an antivirus company, I'd say they'll be doing
> > everything they can to get clients to ALWAYS see the very latest
> > version.
>
> I don't understand your reasoning. There is only one version of each
> file, hence the oldest version is also the very latest version. They
> will force caches to refetch unmodified content (which is not nice for
> byte-charged organisations).

Good point. I was thinking of the index, but there's no need to impose
those restrictions on the files within. Perhaps they were trying to
control cache behaviour on the index and just didn't bother turning it
off for the files in the directory?

A .htaccess file for cache control in the sigs/ directory could well
cause exactly this.

--
Craig Ringer