[plug] mirroring and updating a remote http directory

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 6 19:38:06 WST 2004

Hi Craig,

In message <20040806111906.47D187959 at spark.plug.linux.org.au>
on Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:18:53PM +0800, Craig Foster wrote:
> 1) Use Vet 10.6x as it downloads incremental updates
> 2) Setup a Master Setup on a windows box, and call it the vet server:-
[...]
> It's designed to run that way. Vet does not even like linux in one bit.
> Or you could grab the updates via ftp (which supports timestamps) from
> ftpav.ca.com

I'm sure your information is very useful to users of Vet. However,
it struck me as irrelevant to the technical issues that were being
discussed in the thread. I had not considered that Ben might be using
Vet. I had assumed he was running a "mirror" for arbitrary other users
of Vet (and he has no control over their practices). While you are
probably correct that ftpav.ca.com supports proper timestamping, I
suspect that Ben wants to use an Australian source. The Australian
source that he has found is an HTTP site. The solutions to Ben's
mirroring problem probably lie either in changing the mirror comparison
method (which he has done) or finding a different upstream server.