[plug] Help with ADSL Modem for a Newbie

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Aug 9 23:50:53 WST 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:02:18 +0800 "Tim Josselyn" <timj at eftel.net.au> wrote:

> My IP address to connect via WinXP is 192.168.1.1 via USB and Ethernet.
>
> My ifconfig shows:
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:18:4E:31:C6
>           inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:255.255.255.255
>           Mask:255.255.255.0[...]
> I ran PPPoE Config from KDE and it reported:
>
> "Looking for PPPoE Access Concentrator on eth0
>
> Sorry, I scanned 1 interface but the Access Concentrator of your provider
> did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another
> reason for the scan utility failure may be another PPPoE process which
> controls the modem."
>
> Could I request some more help please?

Hi Tim

I might be talking out of turn here but it looks to me like everything is
just about hunky dory _except_ to use pppoe assumes your ADSL modem has
been set into "bridge" mode so it acts like a dumb modem to allow pppoe to
make the connection and handle authentication with your ISP.

If you have connected via XP from a modem that "just arrived in a box" then
the ISP may have set up the Netcomm so that it does the authentication and
the Netcomm ethernet port is your gateway to the larger internet.

This might mean you have to flip the modem into bridged mode to use it with
pppoe under Linux and out of bridged to use it with XP. I'd just abandon
XP, set the modem to bridged mode, run with Linux and don't look back. But
that's just me ;-)

Hang on tho', I'm sure Craig has said somewhere else that the pppoe client
under woody had "issues". Can anyone first confirm if this is so before
Tim attempts to set bridged mode ?

The alternative is to not use pppoe but simply setup to point Linux at
192.168.1.1 as the default gateway. Edit /etc/network/interfaces so the
eth0 entry looks like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

And add to your /etc/resolve.conf file the eftel DNS servers ... which
their web site doesn't provide GAH! Ok, use the Westnet ones. It'll be
slower but not too much until you can get the ones from Eftel. So,
in /etc/resolv.conf add:

nameserver 202.72.191.199
nameserver 203.10.1.9

Then as root:

# ifdown -a; ifup -a

and try:

# ping westnet.com.au

It's worth a try. If you don't get a ping response, ask again. Or someone
will correct any blunder I've made :-)

All the best
Harry

ps The entry "auto eth0" means the link will come back up automagically
each time you boot once you have it setup.

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/