[plug] Help with ADSL Modem for a Newbie

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 10 02:45:44 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 01:16, Garry wrote:

> | Hang on tho', I'm sure Craig has said somewhere else that the pppoe client
> | under woody had "issues". Can anyone first confirm if this is so before
> | Tim attempts to set bridged mode ?

Well, I'm having problems with pppoe on Woody, and have done on two
different machines with different ISPs in different locations. In both
cases, the problem is that pppd appears to be unable to re-establish a
connection if it is lost. Killing pppd and restarting it does the trick.

In one case, upgrading to the vanilla (and newer) rp-pppoe did the
trick, though I don't use that machine anymore. The other one, at work,
I'm considering giving the same treatment (I'm only 10 minutes away by
bike, but at 2:00am or 7:00am that's 10 minutes more than I'd like), but
will try a pppd and pppoe client from backports.org first.

All I can really say is that my experience with the pppoe client in
vanilla woody has been somewhat problematic. It's not impossible that
I've just misconfigured it the same way in each problem site. It's also
worth noting that I find the Woody pppoe client dead reliable ... until
the connection is broken by an error at the ISP, where it may fail to
reconnect. It _usually_ reconnects fine, it just sometimes fails to -
usually, it seems, if the outage is fairly long.

Eh. I'd just fetch pppd and pppoe from backports - it's probably a good
idea anyway. I'll let you folks know in a few months if it helps, as
I'll be doing so at work shortly.

--
Craig Ringer