[plug] mounting home directories

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Wed Aug 11 09:53:38 WST 2004

I seem to have a problem mounting from a fedora laptop to a fedora
server using smbmount.  I have mounted a heap of folders currently on
startup and they all work but my home directory only under linux.  What
I mean by that is if I switch to winxp I can log into my home
directory.  I think my mistake is obviously in what I'm typing since if
it was teh smb.conf file it would affect winxp as well.

The user and group is listed as 508 now that is the same number as my
username number or uid.

e.g.
drwxr-x---  1 508 508     0 Jul 29 14:56 Marketingchoice

smbmount //fcserver.smlintl.local/marc-w /mnt/smeserver/marc-w -o
credentials=/etc/samba/auth.smb,uid=marc-w,gid=marc-w,fmask=0760,dmask=0770

Thats the whole command but for some reason it gives the uid and gid as
508 and obviously I can't access those files as my current user on my
laptop.  I can however access the files from my laptop if I go as root
which is the confusing bit.

I've tried to give as much info as possible please point out what and
where I'm going wrong cause I'm getting real confused.

Regards,

Marc