[plug] mounting home directories

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 10:03:50 WST 2004

In message <41197C22.6090607 at smlintl.com.au>
on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:53:38AM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> The user and group is listed as 508 now that is the same number as my
> username number or uid.
> drwxr-x---  1 508 508     0 Jul 29 14:56 Marketingchoice

When you talk about these things, we need to be clear about whether you
are referring to details on the server or on your laptop. I will assume
that if you look at the files on the server, you see them owned by
"marc-w" but on the laptop you see them as owned by "508". If so, this
means that the UID of "marc-w" on the server is 508, but on your laptop
it is something different. On your laptop, what is the output of the
`id` shell command? (The reason it works for the root user is because
the root user (superuser) can do anything that any other user can do,
and more.)