[plug] mounting home directories

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 10:25:04 WST 2004

Hi,

Forget about fiddling with root -- there is nothing wrong with your
root user and the behaviour you have described is entirely correct
and intentional (in low-level technical terms, that is).

In message <41198041.3010306 at smlintl.com.au>
on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:11:13AM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Yeah you are right the 508 is marc-w on the server.  The uid on my
> computer is 500.

Okay, that is the entire crux of the problem. But I don't know enough
about Samba to tell you of the best way to overcome this. Normally, in a
closed workplace environment, you'd aim during initial system
configuration to have marc-w/508 on all computers (or marc-w/500) --
pick one or the other. However, to overcome the problem on a
client-by-client basis, you may be able to enforce some kind of
automatic "mapping" (as is often available with NFS). Note: I do not
recommend that you change the numeric ID on your laptop at this stage,
as you could just end up locking yourself out of things (you would need
to remember to update your file permissions in the necessary fashion,
and it could get very confusing if you have processes currently running
under UID 500). Hopefully, someone else will advise you about the
procedural details of your options.

> Server is:
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
> groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
> Laptop:
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
> groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)

Er...oh dear...what we actually needed you to show was the marc-w IDs,
not root IDs. Sorry for not being more specific. The root information
is irrelevant and is basically the same no matter what computer you look
at. The root account is a special-purpose entity and is different to
all other accounts. As a result, use of the root account can lead to
"surprising" access permissions (/entirely/ intentional) and should not
be used as an example for any "real" users.