[plug] New to the list& Linux+Help

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 11 14:30:56 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> > when I switch on my PC it says initialising Plug and Play Cards....
> > Card-01 Creative ViBRA16c PnP.
>
> If you have some sort of Creative-brand card in our PC, doesn't the Plug
> and Play message sounds like good news?? Or is your problem that you
> don't have any such card? Or did you mean to say that the computer hangs
> soon after printing that message?

I suspect that the machine hangs after printing the message.  My
suspicion is that the installation died somewhere after it had
formatted the drive and started installing software, but before it had
installed the boot loader.  This there is nothing on the machine for
it to boot.  (Unless the system was set up as a dual-boot Windows
machine, in which case it may still be looking for something to boot
from on the Linux partition and not finding anything.)

I'd suggest re-installing from scratch.

Cameron.