[plug] New to the list& Linux+Help

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 11 14:58:04 WST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 14:30, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
> > > when I switch on my PC it says initialising Plug and Play Cards....
> > > Card-01 Creative ViBRA16c PnP.

> > If you have some sort of Creative-brand card in our PC, doesn't the
> > Plug and Play message sounds like good news?? Or is your problem that
> > you don't have any such card? Or did you mean to say that the computer
> > hangs soon after printing that message?

> I suspect that the machine hangs after printing the message.  My
> suspicion is that the installation died somewhere after it had
> formatted the drive and started installing software, but before it had
> installed the boot loader.  This there is nothing on the machine for
> it to boot.  (Unless the system was set up as a dual-boot Windows
> machine, in which case it may still be looking for something to boot
> from on the Linux partition and not finding anything.)

> I'd suggest re-installing from scratch.

I don't know how restartable Mandrake is; SuSE allows you to boot
off the installation CD and to boot an installed system; upon which
you select the boot disk for the bombed install. SuSE then picks up
approximately where it left off - the previous "checkpoint" of the
install.

If you'd not yet started the physical installation to hard disk,
then that is of course not possible.