Fwd: Re: [plug] mounting home directories

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Wed Aug 11 15:05:33 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>In message <4119B812.9000004 at smlintl.com.au>
>on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:09:22PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>

>>From what I'm reading I should have a central authentication method in
>>the sense that my laptop and every other machine windows or not should
>>authenticate when trying to access to the server
>>

>In a workgrounp environment, that makes sense. If you need to fudge it
>temporarily for your laptop, though, I imagine you will need to use some
>Samba options or revamp the 'marc-w' account on your laptop.
>
>By the way,...I don't quite understand Ian's question:
>
>In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0408111150250.7214 at wombat.indigo.net.au>
>on Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:52:14AM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
>

>>Why is Samba involved here? It looked like the question related to
>>Fedora <-> Fedora communication. Is that actually the case?
>>

>Marc...I was under the impression that you were using smbmount, and
>it is part of Samba. "Fedora <-> Fedora communication" sounds pretty
>generic, like saying "computer <-> computer communication".

I meant as in fedora as in so you know its linux to linux instead of
windows to linux or linux to windows.

>To revise what we have learnt about your situation so far:
>    On the server, UID 508 has the name 'marc-w'.
>    On the client, UID 500 has the name 'marc-w'.
>    The files you want to access are owned by UID 508 (i.e. 'marc-w'
>    on the server or merely '500' on the laptop).
>
>Note that the files are *not* intrinsically owned by 'marc-w'. Rather,
>they are owned by 508. The name 'marc-w' is just a facade (sorry!)
>because names are nicer to work with. Thus, both your server and your
>laptop need to agree that 508 is 'marc-w' and that 'marc-w' is 508 (i.e.
>they have to agree on those TWO facts), OR you need to allow them to
>disagree by having Samba map between 508 and 500. This is what UNIX
>administrators expect. I'm not quite sure of the relationship between
>this and Windows. Either Windows is doing some mapping on your behalf
>(which would be worrisome to most UNIX admins), or perhaps it isn't
>really working.

I just logged in to a windows machine and went through network computers
and logged on and access all the files and resources off of the samba
server.

I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening is it because of the uid
itself is that along the right path.