Fwd: Re: [plug] mounting home directories

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Aug 14 10:12:58 WST 2004

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I just logged in to a windows machine and went through network
> computers and logged on and access all the files and resources off of
> the samba server.
>
> I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening is it because of the
> uid itself is that along the right path.

This is because samba authenticates via username/password pairs and not
user ids. On a linux machine it requires that the mount is mapped to a
uid and gid (the uid= and gid= options of smb mount[1])
Windows doesn't care about the UID's on the server and nether does the
smb protocole. The server will share them out as long as the
username/password pair has access to them.
Tim

[1] Same as 'mount -t smb'