[plug] [OT] bur.st unreachable

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Aug 12 14:54:54 WST 2004

When we first got our ADSL connected, we had some issues with the
connection type we got.  There were (and I don't know whether there is
still) two types of bridged ADSL connection (this is layer3).  The
initial one our line was connected as didn't work, but of course we
couldn't 100% prove that Telstra hadn't done it right, we were using a
Cisco 827H and had the ear of Cisco who said it really didn't look like
the line had been done properly either (we were receiving packets from
weird pvc values).  When the line got reconfigured to the other type of
bridged (what we are on now), the line sync disappeared for maybe half
an hour when they did the actual change.  It shouldn't be any more time
than doing a line speed change really.

There is one disavantage with bridged, but might not really be a factor
for a business (it isn't for us), but with WestNet you lose the ability
to be shaped being on bridged.

/ Ben