[plug] Customer Mail Out

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 12 18:37:39 WST 2004

In message <1092306880.833.10.camel at nathan>
on Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:34:40PM +0800, Nathan Alberti wrote:
> I suppose in qmail I would create a .qmail file with all the addresses
> in it,...The customer is running postfix and I'm not as familiar with
> its method of achieving a similar task,

With postfix, I assume you could do it the sendmail way. That is, go
`man aliases` and pick up the :include: syntax from there. Then, dump
your subscribers into a plain text file. Then, send e-mail to the alias
that you have just created. This is easy, but has a number of drawbacks
(including the fact that arbitrary people will be able to send mail via
that alias!).

> (insert mailing list software here) but it seems silly to have a full
> blown mailing list manager when all that is required is a mail out.

Do you want:
 - only a limited number of authorised posters?
 - to have bounces hidden from your view?
 - to have web-accessible archives?
 - to give people the ability to unsubscribe themselves without
   bothering you?

If so, a mailing list manager can be useful (though you have to think
carefully about how you wish to maintain the subscriber list -- newer
versions of Mailman are beginning to be designed to accommodate this
for you, although you can whip up an independent solution if you want).
On the other hand, as you say, it might just be extra baggage for your
situation.