[plug] [OT] bur.st unreachable

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 13 14:45:26 WST 2004

Harry wrote:

> Ah. Ok. Yep we have pppoe on the firewall so now I can understand Craig
> saying WTF?! since you would expect pppoe to either work or not
> regardless of whether the modem or firewall was initiating the
> connection and authentication. Oh well, "helllloooooo TIO" regardless.

Well, the issue was that the DSL service /was/ working fine. Even during
the outage, I could run:

# pppoe -I eth1 -A

and get a reponse from hardware at wellington st - so the link layer was
working, as was the ethernet-over-ATM stuff. However, a connection
attempt resulted in a message from the server:

PADS: System-Error: No more sessions allowed for this host

In hindsight, Andrew Howell's comments that the host's MAC address was
being blacklisted seem to be the most likely answer. As the modem, in
bridged mode, is exactly that, the PPPoE server would see the host's MAC
when the PPPoE session started. If you use the router, the client has a
different MAC address, so it works.

I wish I'd thought of changing the MAC address of the NIC at the time.

--
Craig Ringer