[plug] [OT] Second-Hand Hardware Sale

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 13 20:14:43 WST 2004

skribe wrote:

 > The boards are also filled with people that seem to have lots of
> stuff to sell which leads me to the conclusion that the goods have 'fallen
> off the back of a truck' or are old stock from a retailer - and thereby
> avoiding any warranty hassles.

There will probably also be cases where companies are trying to recover
some cash on old gear during upgrades, or their employees trying to sell
said old gear that they got as freebies from work.

>>I don't think we need to invent another wheel for this
>>(completely-non-linux-specific) job  :)
>
> I don't think this is re-inventing the wheel.  I think this is adding value
> to the mailing list/PLUG. I'm more inclined to trust a plugger - as foolish
> as that may actually be =).

Well, you have more chance of being able to find out where they live ;-)

I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole for-sale list idea. I'm happy with
things they way they are and don't really see the demand at present. On
the other hand, I'd prefer a separate list to high volumes of commercial
posts on [plug] - and it could be that the demand has simply been
staying politely quiet ;-).

This might also provide a place for the LinuxIT folks - who do a lot to
support PLUG - to keep people informed without feeling like they're
pushing the boundaries of or breaking the accepted protocol on this
list. Their current approach appears to be "when in doubt, don't post" -
and I for one wouln't mind hearing more from them every now and then.
Such a list (I'd tend to broaden "for sale" into "commercial" and
suggest that it try to remain related to the main [plug] subject area)
might be useful in that regard.

--
Craig Ringer