[plug] hiding service banner

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Aug 14 20:01:00 WST 2004

What I was looking for is what Bill stated.

Thanks for the info.

Jon

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au 3:57:50 pm 14/08/2004 >>>
Hi Bill,

In message <1092469276.32113.5.camel at rattus.Localdomain>
on Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 03:41:16PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I find changing the default banner a good security thing to do - at
> least I can see its one of my systems I am logging into, not a fluke
> similar system which I did try and log into once and wondered why it
> wouldnt accept my password (4df#$% dynamic IP allocations!).

For once we are in agreement: I think that an "issue.net"-style banner
(as you described) is a neat thing to have (perhaps especially one that
has a message warning against unauthorised access). It is a "security
thing" in the same sense as a copyright notice is a "security thing"
(i.e. keeps circumstances superficially unambiguous). (Even though
Jon's query appeared to be about disabling the SSH handshake banner
which precedes the visible banner.)

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au