[plug] SCSI host adapter emulation ?

Michael Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 16 12:16:12 WST 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, ranime wrote:

> Hi,
> In mandrake 9-1, I think I had the cd writer mounted as a ide-scsi device.
> Now in Mandrake 10 I think it mounts the cd writer as atapi.

Thats a change with the new 2.6 kernel. Mandrake 10 still has the 2.4
kernel as an option though.

> How do I regain SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices ?

The easiest way might be to boot with the 2.4.25 kernel, and hdc=ide-scsi
kernel arg. in lilo.conf.

It looks like you can still use the ide-scsi module in the 2.6 kernel,
but I havn't tried. Maybe a modprobe will be enough?

http://programming.linux.com/programming/03/12/09/1341236.shtml?tid=40&tid=91

> The reason I want to achive this is so I can read the blank cdr and dvd
> media codes again.

No way to do this through the native IDE interface?

--
The best things in life go on sale sooner or later.