[plug] SCSI host adapter emulation ?

ranime ranime at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 16 20:41:35 WST 2004

Mark O'Shea wrote:

> "WARNING: ide-scsi is no longer needed for cd writing applications!
>   The 2.6 kernel supports direct writing to ide-cd, which eliminates the
> need for ide-scsi + the entire scsi stack just for writing a cd. The new
> method is more efficient in every way."

Yes, I have successfully used the 2.6 kernel & K3b to burn cdr's and
DVD's +/- x4 & x8 with no coasters at all.
It is a good setup.
I would still like the option to mount a dvd writer with 'ide-scsi' just
to read the media codes.
I would never consider using ide-scsi for burning again.

The option to set the write speed not being able to be set has not been
a problem. K3b seems to handle the speed with relation to the blank
media's capability very well.  (DVD is a Pioneer 107).