[plug] Mandrake 10 Q

Jay Warwick jtwarwick at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 16 21:51:09 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 21:28, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Michael Holland wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Brad Campbell wrote:
> >

> >>Is there an easy way to set it up just to boot to a virtual console and not X?
> >

> > Just change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab .
> >

> >>I guess it's probably possible with a runlevel but I know absolutely
> >>nothing about Mandrake.
> >

> > Yes. But not reaklly Mandrake-specific.
>
> Nope, but my problem is that particular laptop is about 8,500KM away and the bloke on the other end
> is not completely linux savy. Thus my asking for MDK10 specific instructions.
>
> With Debian I can do it with one hand tied behind my back and blindfolded but I know nothing about
> the specific setup of Mandrake.
>
> Regards,
> Brad

On Mandrake 10-
Within /etc/inittab you will see the following lines.  Simply change the
'id:3:initdefault:'  to 'id:5:initdefault:'

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by Mandrakelinux are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

Thanks
JW