[plug] Device usage

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 17 16:13:45 WST 2004

Sometimes I find that one application can't use a device because it is
in use..

Specifically, I mean /dev/dsp for sound.

After I have been using Xine for watching a movie (xvid is a great codec
to rip to btw), shut it down then try to use mplayer for an audio
stream, mplayer tells me the device is in use. It doesn't always do it..

If it does happen, xine will still happily work *with* sound..

I have to restart X ctrl-alt-bspace to get it right gain.

The xine process is not running when I try to use mplayer.

How can I tell which device is tying up the sound device? What can I do
to intie it then?

TIA

Garry