[plug] VPNs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 17 13:26:34 WST 2004

Hi folks

I ran into an interesting article recently:
http://www.ebcvg.com/articles.php?id=251
that is relevant to the recent discussion on VPN choices.

I actually think they're dead wrong on a number of points, such as the
email security point. Just because most people insist on using
unencrypted, unauthenticated POP3 and SMTP doesn't mean one can't use
IMAP+TLS and SMTP+TLS with client certificates to get encrypted, more
secure mail. Most people just don't do it.

It's also focused more on the "big end of town".

On the other hand, they do cover some of the security and other
drawbacks - though not perhaps in as much detail as I'd expect.

Anyway, I think it's worth a read.

--
Craig Ringer