[plug] CD/DVD recovery and rant on WD Drives

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Aug 17 18:08:40 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>> I must say I'm loving the Maxtor Maxline-II drives at the moment. Just
>> saving to go and buy another 15 to set up in a Raid-6.
>

> Agreed. I have a couple of the MaxLine-II 250GB drives here, and won't
> be buying anything else again. Their diagnostics are excellent, they're
> fast, they're reliable, and they appear quite robust.

I have 10 currently and I can't say enough good things about them. Not only that but Maxtor firmware
engineers monitor linux-kernel, linux-ide and linux-raid and have actually made firmware changes to
fix the odd error reported there. They are also helpful with eratta to enable workarounds in
drivers. Can't see I have seen any of the others represented like that.

A little like nvidia doing the same thing on linux-kernel and the swsusp list.
They appear to be trying to help.

I like to support the companies that support linux. Maxtor drives, Promise SATA controllers, Matrox
Graphics cards (quality not 3D is my thing).

Now if only Mr Garzik could get SMART working on the libata interfaces I could replace these drives
before they actually totally keel over. The WD has been giving me SMART telltales but I have been
unable to see them coz I cant query the drives (They are on ATA->SATA converters).