Fair Use (was: Re: [plug] Converting Video formats on Linux)

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Aug 18 19:02:41 WST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:25:04 +0800 Chris Griffin <griffinster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Many thanks to all, I will try all this tonight and expect that I will
> now be able to resolve the issue. I should have come here in the first
> place and saved myself a week and a half of frustration searching for
> a solution elsewhere.

A week and a half ??

Would this have been a useful option:
http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=722580

We don't have fair use provisions in Australia yet but the EFA
have today released a statement to the press urging legislation
to provide balance to the FTA that we've all been lumbered with.

http://www.efa.org.au/Publish/PR040818.html

But even fair use is stretched too thin by "the contents of a VHS tape
he had borrowed from a friend".

The irony of the video you have is the lifetime fight by John Harrison
for the prize that was offered for a solution to the navigational
problem that his clocks solved. I've seen them at The Royal Observatory
in Greenwich and they are very beautiful. The story behind them is one
of abuse of his efforts as their creator.

By all means learn about the software tools but this example doesn't sit
well with me, If I'm the only one to admit it, so be it :-\

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/