Fair Use (was: Re: [plug] Converting Video formats on Linux)

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Aug 19 13:32:11 WST 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:59:44 +0800 Chris Griffin <griffinster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Harry,
>
> your point is well put and thanks for the link. I was not aware that
> it was available (and am surprised that it is). In all likleyhood he
> will go and purchase it as the quality of the version we have is very
> low, in fact I may purchase it for him as a present.

Cool :) The ABC Shop had lots of "THIS IS A FATHERS DAY IDEA" subtle
messages and I wondered if it could work out that way.

> In the meantime I will continue with what I am doing as  a learning
> exercise.

Good plan.

> I do, however, make the usual observation on the very high price
> $35.95. With your average high profile movie this price is normal but if
> one is prepared to wait it will eventually drop, sometimes to half it's
> original price.

This one might be a bit less popular for the price reduction strategy.
Consider it a donation to support Your ABC ;-)

> I have a fairly large DVD collection, all legal, all purchased when
> the price has dropped. I believe strongly in "doing the right thing".
> But I still make the same observation, if they can afford to drop the
> price by that much over time, and still be making a good profit, where
> then is the fairness in the pricing in the first place?

I don't know. I guess they all get their cut down the line. But hey, if
it's a good story and someone says "this is the price" then I don't see
an alternative.

On backup and alternative media copying generally, I imagine there will be
some argy bargy about Fair Use if the legislation is to be got up but it
will ba a good thing to actually see a Fair Use regime. Expect bleating and
posturing and the usual political abuse of the idea :-( I hope people on
this list will be proactive participants in the debate, tho' :-)

> Just my 2c worth.

Thanks for replying :-) I gulped when I pressed the send button cos it
felt like finger waggling.

Here's a another (long) link with more on John Harrison:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/site/request/setTemplate:singlecontent/contentTypeA/conWebDoc/contentId/355/navId/005001000002

or Google 'John Harrison Greenwich' I'm Feeling Lucky

All the best
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/