[plug] How to add static route?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 20 14:34:58 WST 2004

In message <4107D7400071FD41 at smtp02.syd.iprimus.net.au>
on Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 02:11:47PM +0800, paul wrote:
> What do you guys think the current time frame is for the implementation of
> ipv6. I have read on the cisco site that 2010 is the final implementation
> date.

Final implementation of what? IPv6 is already with us, and has been for
many years. However, many embedded IP systems are IPv4-only and are not
likely to be upgraded in future. I imagine it will be well beyond 2010
before IPv4 disappears completely from people's private networks, if
that's what you're talking about. Also, many large organisations are not
very interested in IPv6 at the moment (how often do you see AAAA records
for websites?) -- a combination of carriers not providing IPv6 support
and client organisations not having any impetus to demand the
transition. I suppose a lot of DNS servers might not be IPv6-compatible,
for example, and people will have to change all their access control
lists, etc. Also, a vast amount of literature is written with a distinct
assumption of IPv4 exclusivity. People can use IPv6 internally, but
there isn't a lot of momentum. Your ISP probably doesn't care much,
either. But IPv6 is already "implemented" -- it's just not widely
deployed.