[plug] How to add static route?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 20 14:48:37 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <4107D7400071FD41 at smtp02.syd.iprimus.net.au>
> on Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 02:11:47PM +0800, paul wrote:
>
>>What do you guys think the current time frame is for the implementation of
>>ipv6. I have read on the cisco site that 2010 is the final implementation
>>date.
>
> Final implementation of what? IPv6 is already with us, and has been for
> many years.

Agreed. The 6bone is not new. Tunnel service providers are not new. On
the other hand, 6to4 is _relatively_ new and has the potential to really
boost IPv6 deployment.

> However, many embedded IP systems are IPv4-only and are not
> likely to be upgraded in future. I imagine it will be well beyond 2010
> before IPv4 disappears completely from people's private networks, if
> that's what you're talking about.

_well_ beyond.

The number of people running ten-plus year old legacy systems is
significant. I'm one of them ;-). The chances of SCO OpenServer getting
IPv6 support are basically nil. Ditto little embedded network devices
like machine controllers.

On a private network, it doesn't even matter. You can assign IPv6 compat
addresses (::192.168.x.x etc) to your hosts as well as their normal
global addresses and have a gateway that translates v6 compat to v4 and
back. The old system need not even realise it's talking to v6-only hosts.

Or, of course, you can simply have your v6 hosts also run a v4 stack and
have v4 IPs as well. This is what most people are likely to do for a
while yet.

> Also, many large organisations are not
> very interested in IPv6 at the moment (how often do you see AAAA records
> for websites?)

Lots of DNS hosts still won't let you set them. Hell, lots still don't
even like setting TXT records - *sigh*.

--
Craig Ringer